gordonzola: (Default)
[personal profile] gordonzola
So I just got back from seeing an matinee of "One Hour Photo" and I thought it was amazing.*

First off, I should mention that I worked in a one hour photo lab for many years. I have many horrible stories to tell (Here’s one). And I have to say, they captured a large part of it in the movie. Though the above entry mentions some of my least favorite customers, OHP manages to depict the insurance agents, the pet people and the amateur porn guys pretty well. In addition, I got chills when seeing some of the equipment they used which I haven’t seen since I quit (the little tape thing that gets the leader of film out of the canister etc.). I winced when Robin Williams cut through a negative by accident.

But the what the first 2/3 of the film does amazingly well is depict the condition of retail work in our modern post-industrial society. Until the predictable and dumb ending, it’s actually a big budget movie about class.



One of the most characteristic and classed elements of retail work is the lack of privacy. Managers and office workers often have private places to go to take care of personal issues that come up in one’s life, in fact it’s often a mark of one’s place on the food chain. Retail workers do not. Many times I’ve gone into stores and watched the person working the register try to deal with a child care crisis, a break-up, an ill relative, etc. while ringing people up, unable to take a break. I’ve been caught the same way myself. Working in a service job means possible severe penalties for not being isolated and out of touch with one’s emotions. As the choice, more and more, is simply about where to go to buy the exact same crap, subservience and good attitude is what is actually being sold.

OHP recognizes that from the first scenes. Robin Williams is the printer at a one-hour photo lab inside a big-box Wal-Mart type store. Mirrors are emblazoned with phrases like "Check Your Smile". Slogans are painted on the walls of employee areas, "We are in business for our customers. Without them, we are nothing". This isn’t done didactically, it’s all background.

When Robin Williams is fired** though, his lack of privacy is dramatized beautifully. There’s a close shot of him, despondent, sitting on a huge beautifully made up bed in a tastefully decorated room. We’ve seen it a million times whenever a lawyer in a movie loses a case or something tragic happens in a middle class family. The camera backs off though and we see he’s still at the store and in the bedroom department as people continue their shopping around him.

It’s also no accident that he works in a big box store "a really long drive" from downtown where he lives in a one-bedroom apartment. While his isolation is also a plot device, it does underline a lack of human contact accelerated with the decaying downtown/suburban under-taxed mall combo that is a cornerstone of modern development.

But Robin Williams also depicts a working class character trying to find meaning in his meaningless job. While this is done to make him seem a little old-fashioned (which helps foreshadow his unhappiness with infidelity in "his" chosen family) it’s also another factor of post-industrial work. When one is selling service, is the product just a means to that end? His character gets in trouble for calling out a service tech to fix the automatic color corrections*** because he actually cares about the quality of what he’s producing. Caring about quality gets him nothing but trouble. Rendered meaningless, it’s no wonder he’s a little unhinged.

Typically, I laughed out loud twice during the movie when no one else made a sound. The first time came after Robin Williams puts evidence of the husband’s infidelity into the wife’s roll of film and she, after a short breakdown, serves dinner like nothing happened. "What is wrong with these people?" he asks. If only he took a moment and followed his own logic . . .

The other was when Robin Williams drops off a roll of film after being fired. His boss is shown the pics. With a telephoto lens Williams has taken photo after photo of the bosses daughter as she plays on the lawn of her home, getting closer (not physically but photographically) with each frame. Now, I know that sounds fucked up. But at that point we know he wouldn’t actually harm her and is just pushing the boss’s buttons through his superior knowledge of photography.

I laughed because it hit pretty close to home. I can’t say some of my older co-workers wouldn’t have done something similar if they had they been fired. There’s only so much degradation one can take. Even then I could see that being over 35 and working retail in that type of young person/mall environment was driving them desperate and crazy. There were a number of days in that mall photo lab when it was only going to take one more boss insult or crazy customer to make someone snap.

**His firing was the only photo lab depiction that didn’t ring true. No photo lab printer EVER gets fired for making a few extra photos. "There are hundreds of unaccounted for prints" Uh, huh. That’s about $5-10 worth if that. In a less busy photo lab, I’d fuck up at least 100 prints a day due to having wrong settings, unbalanced film channels, creachy customers and simple mistakes. And my work was considered very good.

***Ok that didn’t ring true either. He should have been able to do it himself or develop a correction code to manually put in each film channel. But anyway. . .



*Keep in mind that I have a very specific way of looking at big budget Hollywood movies. I ignore the last 15 minutes to half hour. That’s when the main point is to recuperate any unpleasant messages that they’ve set up in the previous hour and a half and make sure that the idea of Family and Capitalism are triumphant. I find that assuming that going in makes me less disappointed and lets me appreciate the good bits. "One Hour Photo" is no exception to this rule.

Date: 2002-11-04 05:23 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jamie-miller.livejournal.com
Nice analysis. Having avoided retail/customer service jobs my entire life (after working them for a few years early on), this element of the movie escaped my attention.

I HATE customer service ... because I have to deal with customers ... who always think they are right and entitled to golden service on a silver platter.

Ever read the zine Eat and Get Out?

Date: 2002-11-04 06:14 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gordonzola.livejournal.com
Ever read the zine Eat and Get Out?

No, but I can tell I'd love it just by the title. Do you have the ordering info.

And hey, I just read in someone else's journal that Lydia Lunch is moving to Louisville. I tell ya, I was only there for four days and I still lust for that abandoned downtown . . .

Date: 2002-11-05 12:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jamie-miller.livejournal.com
I haven't seen a copy of EGO in years. As you can guess, it's a zine written by restaurant servers, for restaurant servers.

And why the hell would Lydia Lunch move here???

Date: 2002-11-04 07:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] jactitation.livejournal.com
Okay, you've hooked me; maybe I'll even get my ass out to the Balboa to see it (hey, maybe I'll do anything to avoid working on this paper, eh?). And I wonder if this is not simply about class, but also about a raced (white) masculinity that's increasingly coming untethered to post-industrial work. What do you think?

But now I'm totally curious about the recuperative moment(s—15? damn, that's a lot of the movie; with It's A Wonderful Life you only need to turn it off before the last eight) at the end. What do they do to stitch up the discomfort of facing a service-work world for the viewers? Who is the presumed audience, and does it switch? Ah, but that's truly spoiling the end, isn't it? You can just email/tell me.

Date: 2002-11-05 09:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gordonzola.livejournal.com
Well every worker in the movie, except for the woman that is fucking the husband in the family Robin Williams longs to be a part of, is a man (though somewhat racially diverse). The wife doesn't work, she spends a lot of time in the big box store. Does that idealized '50s relationship help RW obsess over that particular family? maybe.

It's not like "Falling Down" that Michael Douglas movie where the laid off white guy goes around LA shooting at every ethnic group because of his displacement in the food chain.

And the movie never makes us hate RW. He's still the most sympathetic character even if he's "Crazy"

excellent review focusing on an aspect

Date: 2002-11-05 05:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] metalhedwig.livejournal.com
sometimes I also laugh during otherwise silence. And then I cover my mouth.

I like yr 15-minute rule, but could never live by it, as endings of movies are my favourite part. Sort of th opposite of th 15-min. rule: I find that terrible movies are sometimes redeemed by a great ending. Repo Man (Cox, 1984, 5.5 stars out of 10) comes to mind.--mza.

Re: excellent review focusing on an aspect

Date: 2002-11-05 09:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gordonzola.livejournal.com
Oh, MZA. Repo Man was a fabulous film. Some things are subjective, but that is not.

But seriously, how old are you? 'cuz it was definitely a time and place thing. I tried to show it to my housemates who were about 10 years younger than me and they didn't get it either. Maybe you had to live through the whole Reagan cultural revolution to understand why "Let's get sushi and not pay" is funny, poignant and meaningful at the same time.

generational thing mebbe

Date: 2002-11-12 09:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] metalhedwig.livejournal.com
i was around in th '80s but wasn't into punk rock back then. For apocalyptic youth, I prefer Heathers (Lehmann, 1989, 9.5 stars out of 10). W/ Repo Man, it might take watching it w/ one of its devotees to convert me. I couldn't see th poignancy through th smirking.--mza.

Date: 2002-11-05 10:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vestalvixen.livejournal.com
I was mystified by the end (though your probably the wrong person to ask an opinion of in this case). I hate unanswered questions in movies. Of course, I didn't want to see One Hour Photo in the first place. I wanted to see Secretary.

Date: 2002-11-05 07:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gordonzola.livejournal.com
The end was really a mess wasn't it? Even with my mainstream movie theory. Which part confused you? The pictures? The sympathy for the RW character? The couple seemingly back together? The fact that he didn't stab those yuppie twits?

I wanted to see "Secretary" too. And while I love attending movies alone when everyone else is at work, I would have felt lame going solo to that matinee. Just me, the old folks who walked into the wrong theater, and the trench coat guys. . . no thanks.

Re:

Date: 2002-11-05 07:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vestalvixen.livejournal.com
Yes, yes. Did he ever take pictures of them, or was it all objects in the room? Was he abused by his father growing up?

I saw Secretary alone, but an elderly couple decided to sit right next to me with open seats everywhere. Very disconcerting.

Date: 2002-11-05 09:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gordonzola.livejournal.com
The picture thing just didn't make any sense. Sure, he couldn't bear to take the pictures because of his crazy moral beliefs or something, but then the Doc from ER wouldn't have been baiting him with the film envelope!

I loved the "do you have a lab or do you send them out?" question. Especially since the lab I worked at did the local police photos.

The abuse stuff. ugh. so tacked on. "(meaningful sigh) I guess that's why he was so fucked up and weird." And thus RW becomes the aberration and the workplace analysis becomes inividualised.

And I'm guessing the old couple was looking for their own "secretary". Did it seem like they'd seen it before?

Re:

Date: 2002-11-06 03:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vestalvixen.livejournal.com
I loved the "do you have a lab" thing. See, I know so many people who straddle the line of crazy like that, I just felt really bad for him most of the time.

I was trying not to give the old people any eye contact. Especially when I started crying. Lord knows what their dinner conversation was like that night.

Date: 2002-11-05 11:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] constintina.livejournal.com
Damn. I had *no* desire to see one hour photo and now I'm *definately* going to. excellent analysis (for whatever that's worth...haven't seen the damn movie yet) and your method of ignoring the last 15 min is totally on point. back in the days of the Hayes code (and i'm shamefully forgetting the time span in which the hayes codes were in place...40's thru early 60s? i may be way off...)it was even more glaringly obvious (there were actual "morals" codes for example, so things would happen like the protagonist who had acting subversively through the whole film would randomly die at the very end or something for no reason other than to get Hayes approval) but the same dynamics continue to play out today for the same reasons, even as the Hayes commission has been replaced by the less *blatently* censoring mpaa and other less obvious methods of artistic control.

Profile

gordonzola: (Default)
gordonzola

June 2019

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728 29
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 17th, 2026 06:12 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios